Life and Disability Group Underwriting Consultant at Anthem, Inc.
Life and Disability Group Underwriting Consultant, any Anthem location or remote, PS5414
Your Talent. Our Vision. At Anthem, Inc., it’s a powerful combination, and the foundation upon which we’re creating greater access to care for our members, greater value for our customers, and greater health for our communities.
Join us and together we will drive the future of health care. This is an exceptional opportunity to do innovative work that means more to you and those we serve at one of America’s leading health benefits companies and a Fortune Top 50 Company.
Responsible for determining acceptability of insurance risks and appropriate premium rates for large and complex renewal and prospect employer groups in accordance with L&D underwriting guidelines and authority limits. Position is a technical L&D underwriting expert.
Primary duties may include, but are not limited to:
- May review request for proposal (RFP) to determine eligibility and completeness, based upon L&D underwriting guidelines.
- Calculates new business and renewal rates for large complex cases based on thorough analysis of experience, industry, location, size, demographics, etc.
- Proposes rates for prospective business utilizing a combination of other carrier experience, demographic data, manual rates, and in adherence to appropriate pricing targets for new business and renewals.
- Determines and provides guidance to L&D underwriters concerning the risk selection of applicants applying for individual health coverage.
- Coordinates with other departments to ensure accuracy and consistency of overall account reporting.
- Performs post-sale reviews. Prepares or supervises preparation of annual settlements, ERISA reports, rate projections, or benefit change increments and decrements.
- Surveys existing product portfolios by market, monitors sales results, trends and needs, recommends product portfolio changes.
- Assists in establishing rating and administrative procedures.
- Participates in major multi-functional teams as L&D underwriting representative.
- Assists in the technical development of L&D underwriting associates, which may include monitoring reports and work flow to provide recommendations on productivity and efficiency improvements.
- Updates and monitors L&D departmental processes and procedures in compliance with system, regulatory and business requirements.
- Requires strong written and verbal communication with Sales and Executive leaders of the company.
- Requires a BA/BS in a related field; 5 years of related experience; or any combination of education and experience, which would provide an equivalent background.
- CPCU, CLU, LOMA, HIAA, PAHM or other insurance related courses preferred.
Anthem, Inc. is ranked as one of America’s Most Admired Companies among health insurers by Fortune magazine, and is a 2017 DiversityInc magazine Top 50 Company for Diversity. To learn more about our company please visit us at www.antheminc.com/careers. EOE. M/F/Disability/Veteran.